Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Writers Like Us - Rachel Harris

Welcome Rachel Harris, author of My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century! This one looks so cute--a little time travel, a little romance, and a lot of YA. I've put it on the top of my TBR stack and am so excited to have Rachel here to give us all her publishing secrets!

Her answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes Rachel like you in the comments.

Rachel on Writing
  • To this day, I've written 4 complete books, 1 of which has the light of day so far, and the rest to be released either this year or next. I also have 6 additional books that will be written this year or early next to be released either later this year through 2015.
  • My favorite type of scene to write is one that combines romance and humor and allows me to dive into scenery description, filtered through my character’s unique personality, and hopefully one that involves food (he he). I love writing my characters eating, I have no idea why. 
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with my endings. Not planning them—I always know what is going to happen as I plot like crazy before I begin—but actually writing them. It’s like my brain starts to lock up when it realizes I’ll soon be parting with these characters I’ve lived with and fallen in love with, and it’s just a struggle to get it right. The last few writing days of any project is filled with lots of “I suck” thoughts. Thank goodness for awesome writing friends!! 
  • A typical comment from my critique partner is: Honestly? I get a lot of “LOL” or “bahahahahha” in the pages my girls send me back (*grin*). But critique wise, the biggest thing is my girl Trish Wolfe always reminding me worse/worst, blond/blonde, gray/grey, into/ in to, toward/towards…As often as she corrects me, I still fail to get it right! 
  • The book I wished I wrote is IF I STAY by Gayle Foreman. 

Rachel on Getting Published
  • When I was querying, I felt like I wanted to throw up. But that was only when I thought about it, or got a response—it didn’t seem to matter if it was a pass or a request for more, I still felt all nervy. Mostly I kept my brain busy by writing my next book at that same time, which ended up being the book that sold first (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century). The book I was querying at the time has just been retitled and is coming out Fall 2014 (The Fine Art of Pretending). 
  • The craziest thought I've ever had while writing is: Have I made them hungry enough, or do I need to add more Andouille?? (this was while drafting my adult romance debut, Taste The Heat coming this summer and involves a chef) 
  • When I saw my book sale in Publishers Marketplace: This never changes…I always get completely giddy when my agent or editor sends me the screen shot and then I stare at it at least a bazillion times in the coming week. Even if the contract was written way before that, it isn’t until that announcement that it feels REAL, you know? I’m getting all happy just thinking about it.

Rachel on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be: well, I’m a homeschool mom so I’d be doing that while making up really crazy stories to keep them entertained. 
  • My secret boyfriend is well, it used to be Adam from the If I Stay series, but I think my official secret boyfriend (don’t tell Kiera) is Kellan from S.C. Stephens’ Thoughtless series. Seriously, now that the series is over, I’m gonna go through withdrawals. 
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I make up really random songs, like about muffins or what my characters are doing in a scene, and sing them. Okay, I do this when people are around, too….

As a teen, Rachel Harris threw raging parties that shook her parents’ walls and created embarrassing fodder for future YA novels. As an adult, she reads and writes obsessively, rehashes said embarrassing fodder, and dreams up characters who become her own grown up version of imaginary friends.

When she's not typing furiously or flipping pages in an enthralling romance, you can find her homeschooling her two beautiful princesses, hanging out with her amazing husband, or taking a hot bubble bath…next to a pile of chocolate.

MY SUPER SWEET SIXTEENTH CENTURY is her debut novel. She didhave her own fantabulous Sweet Sixteen in high school. Sadly, it wasn't televised.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...