Wednesday, August 28, 2013

What's Up Wednesday - 8.28.13


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up.

You can participate by going to Jaime's blog here. Or Erin's blog there.

Yay! Another What's Up Wednesday! Hope you all are doing swell!





What I'm Reading

I'm double reading (do you ever do that? Read two books at once?) Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner's THESE BROKEN STARS (which is so incredibly awesome. It's Blue Lagoon...IN SPACE!), and Jennifer Laam's THE SECRET DAUGHTER OF THE TSAR (my first non-YA read of the year. Russian historical!).







What I'm Writing

Saaaame MS. Still love. <3

Agency sister, Helene Boudreau challenged some of us to a 10K by Labor Day challenge and I'm forgoing barbecues and showers (okay, maybe not showers) and going for that this weekend. Anyone else want in?



What Else I've Been Up To

I've got hard-core writing going on, and because of the day job, I only get a small window at 6 AM, nights, and weekends to get my word count in. Sarah Dessen said it best, "I just have to be super strong when it comes to my work time. Shut the browser, ignore the email alerts, and just WRITE."

But, see, when I try to do that, I'm afraid I'm being super rude and neglectful of people. And I most likely look like this:



What Inspires Me Right Now

My very first internship was at MTV's animation studios in Times Square when I was 19. It was around the time of Carson Daley and TRL, and it was pretty much the greatest job I ever had (unpaid and all). So every year the VMAs are like my Super Bowl. 

I know there were a lot of scene stealers during Sunday night's show (*cough* Miley), but I think Katy Perry kicked the most ass. Plus I love this song.

9 comments:

  1. I sometimes read two books at once, one on my kindle and one physical book :)
    I'm adding These Broken Stars to my to-read list, it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Katy Perry. I wasn't going to watch the VMAs (we recorded it) because of all the Miley crap, but now I might have to check it out. And Dessen's advice is awesome. Stephen King gives similar advice on that and with the exception of Wednesdays, I do try to wait until AFTER I write so many words before checking anything online. I've been moderately successful. :) Also, I feel the same way - like I'm ignoring people. I just tell myself, hey - if I weren't near a computer or my phone, they'd have to wait for a response, right? That sometimes works. :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading two books at the moment too! One's non-fiction and the other's a sci-fi. It's nice to change it up a bit ^_^

    Best of luck getting all your writing done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really into historicals and the one you mentioned sounds really interesting. I want to read it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find if I try to read two books at once, I either pay more attention to one than the other, or end up reading them both slower than if I had read them consecutively. Go figure! I don't try to work on two WIPs at the same time either. Some might say it's because I'm a guy, so I don't multitask. I'm a bit dubious about the whole multitasking thing. I just like to see one thing through to the end instead of starting a bunch of things and not finishing any of them.

    Anyway, enough about me. I hope you have a great writing week, Valerie. All the best with the 10K by Labor Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed Katy Perry's act during the VMAs. Totally fun and the song was good, too. I'm so envious that you're reading THESE BROKEN STARS! It looks so good! I would consider joining your for the 10K by Labour Day thing, but I already have plans. Hope you get TONS done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Katy Perry's new song. The Secret Daughter of the Tsar sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation. Good luck with your 10K by Monday. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the sound of that Russian Historical, will have to add it to my list. good luck with your writing and the 10k, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard feeling like you're ignoring people, but if you need to shut out the noise to get your work done, do it! I am planning to write Sunday and maybe Monday. Tonight and Saturday I have plans. I might even have plans Monday, I don't even know. I see a three day weekend and I want to write all the things, but I can't ignore everyone all the time either. :) It's tough when you're in the mode to go go go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...