Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Writers Like Us - Sara Zarr

I would be completely and totally lying if I did not admit that having Sara Zarr participate in Writers Like Us isn't part dream, part oh-my-god-do-not-fangirl-out, Valerie! Sara has written some of my favorite contemporaries: ONCE WAS LOST, STORY OF A GIRL, SWEETHEARTS. Her most recent release, THE LUCY VARIATIONS, picked me back up when I thought writing had knocked me down for good.

For me, Sara Zarr has been this strong touchpoint, who's work is always there for me when I seem to need it. So, without further ado...

Her answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes Sara like you in the comments.

Sara on Writing
  • I've written 9 books and 5 have seen the light of day (so far).
  • My favorite type of scene/character/setting to write is dialog between/among characters in some kind of emotional conflict.
  • No matter how long I've been writing, I still have issues with lay/lie.

Sara on Getting Published
  • When I was querying, I felt anxiety, hope, despair, fatigue.
  • The craziest thought I've ever had while being published is imagining myself winning an Oscar (which really has nothing to do with writing books, so that was very crazy).

Sara on Life Outside Writing
  • If I weren't a writer, I'd probably be still trapped in administrative assistant hell.
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of spiders, but that's not really a secret.
  • My secret boyfriend is Mark Ruffalo. Also not a secret.
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I have Erasure dance parties.


Sara Zarr is the acclaimed author of five novels for young adults, including The Lucy Variations, to be published in May 2013. She’s a National Book Award finalist and two-time Utah Book Award winner. Her books have been variously named to annual best books lists of the American Library Association, Kirkus, Publisher’s Weekly, School Library Journal, the Guardian, the International Reading Association, the New York Public Library and Los Angeles Public Library, and have been translated into many languages. In 2010, she served as a judge for the National Book Award. She has written essays and creative nonfiction for Image, Hunger Mountain online, and Response as well as for several anthologies, and has been a regular contributor to Image‘s daily Good Letters blog on faith, life, and culture. As of summer 2013, she’s a member of the faculty of Lesley University’s Low-Residency Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing program. Born in Cleveland and raised in San Francisco, she currently lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, with her husband, and online at www.sarazarr.com.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this! Wish I'd seen it earlier when it was first posted. I also really like Mark Ruffalo. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...