Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Agents Like Us - Hannah Bowman

Agents Like Us asks agents all their deep, dark agenting secrets. This week, Hannah Bowman of the Liza Dawson Associates Literary Agency is here!

She's actively looking for commercial fiction, especially science fiction and fantasy, young adult fiction, women's fiction, cozy mysteries, and romance. You can find her agent profile here, her Tumblr there, and tweeting under @HannahNPBowman.

Hannah's answers are below in bold. Let us know what makes her like you in the comments!

Hannah on Agenting

  • When writers query me, I really wish they would answer in their query: what is the thing about your book that you think is the coolest? I want to know why you loved this book enough to write it.
  • My favorite part about being an agent is signing new clients! I love discovering incredibly talented writers.
  • Rules and trends aside, what I really look for in a story is an eye-catching premise, great writing that grabs me and immerses me in the story, an unusual voice, and a plot that keeps getting better as it goes on.
  • Whenever I make a book deal, I, well, first of all, I never celebrate until the deal is settled! Getting an offer means it's time for me to focus on getting the author the best possible deal. But once the deal is finalized, I always buy a bottle of champagne to celebrate. 
  • I really wish I saw more adult historical fantasy, excellent adult science fiction, and YA high fantasy in the slush.

Hannah on Clients

  • My ideal client would be a brilliantly talented writer who is also open to always learning more and revising to make their projects better.
  • What I love most about my current clientele is that every single one of them writes so well that I rush to open any new material they send me, because I can't wait to see what new awesomeness they've given me to read.
  • What I want most for any client is a long career writing books they love and finding the right audience for those books.

Hannah on Life

  • If I weren't an agent, I'd probably be in grad school. I was sure I was going to be a professor of something, but circumstances transpired otherwise.
  • My favorite (non-client) book is The Lord of the Rings (it's the classic choice). But I'm also incredibly fond of anything by Katherine Kurtz or Lois McMaster Bujold, and Robert Heinlein's THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS.
  • Secretly, I'm terrified of snakes. This is not really a secret.
  • My secret boyfriend is Chris Hemsworth. Especially as Thor -- it's the hair and the beard.
  • I have a total girlcrush on Katy Perry. I have never met a song of hers I didn't like.
  • Sometimes, when no one is around, I read fancy recipes I will never actually get around to making. I do this especially when I'm hungry and my dinner plans are boring.
  • My favorite drink is an Irish whiskey called Writers' Tears. This is the truth; it's exceptionally good whiskey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...