Monday, June 29, 2015

Ready Set Write - Week 4


Ready Set Write is a summer writing intensive that provides an opportunity for us to cheer each other on wherever we’re at in our writing—planning, drafting, or revising. This year, your RSW hosts are Alison MillerKaty UppermanErin FunkElodie Nowodazkij, and Jaime Morrow

Join us by posting your updated goals on your blog, and linking up with the widget on any of the hosts' blogs posted every Monday morning.

1. How I did on last week’s goals: I jumped in and started slicing and dicing up my manuscript. My agent gave me a list of things to go in and reevaluate, and once I started looking at I sent her an even longer list of things I'd like to cut and completely replace.


2. My goal(s) for this week: I'm almost done the first third (I break each manuscript into three acts), so I'd love to make some progress with the second third by next week. I took out a pretty major plotline and need to fill it in with something completely new. I'm still moving things around and trying to feel out what's supposed to be there instead.

3. A favorite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised: “I told you,” she said. “I can always tell when someone’s lying. And I also know that  you wouldn’t be here if you weren’t meant to be.” She picked up my ratty paperback and tossed it at me. I caught it by the edge of its slick, glossy jacket.
“So study up,” Mackenzie said. “You’re not going anywhere.”


4. The biggest challenge I faced this week: settling into a new routine and switching gears from drafting/writing to revising/writing.

5. Something I love about my WiP: that this revision is focusing on the importance of friendships, and it makes my heart happy to write.

7 comments:

  1. Love the excerpt you shared, Valerie! Good luck with your revisions this week and making a serious dent in the second third of your manuscript. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard to shift gears from editing/revising back to writing, and the other way around. Good luck on your writing goals for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stories about friendships! Good luck as you switch gears! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with revisions! It's a fun switch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the slicing and dicing. Sometimes it feels good to get rid of the dead weight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to break my WIPs up into three acts too. It feels more manageable that way. Cutting out a major plot line is so tough! Hope inspiration hits you for what to replace it with. Good luck finishing Act 1 and tackling Act 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Revisions are hard but oh so worth it and I might try to do this thing about three acts :) I'm sure you're going to find a groove and I'm cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...